httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: Envariables for logging phase only
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2002 02:19:24 GMT
At 10:21 AM 7/22/2002, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>Obviously this can be done with piped logging, but I consider that a
>bit of a handwave.  It appears that here really isn't any simple way
>to accomplish what seems to actually be a reasonable thing.  It can be
>worked around with ErrorDocument and mod_rewrite, I think, but that too
>is a bag on the side.
>So, unless someone has a solution I'm missing, I'd like to propose adding
>a sort of pseudo-envariable during the logging phase.  Something like
>'status_is_NNN', where NNN is appropriately substituted.  Then something
>CustomLog logs/access_log combined env=!status_is_404

Wouldn't it make more sense to bite the bullet, skip the extra envvar
creation, and finally add status as an alternative, where we provide env?

I'd rather we err on the side of feature richness, then to start proliferating
more envvars that must be set up on every request [even when they
aren't used.]

View raw message