httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.40 -- again
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:46:05 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

>Ian Holsman <ianh@apache.org> writes:
>

>>with the recent fix to apr_poll's memory leak we can start this ball
>>rolling again..
>>

>We'll need to state that it can't be used with > x Listen statements
>or explain how to build APR to allow more descriptors with no memory
>leak in apr_poll.

I don't think either of those workarounds is really suitable for a
GA release.  Saying that it can't be used with > x Listen directives
will keep some users of 2.0.39 from being able to use 2.0.40 at all.
And telling users to rebuild APR with a larger limit may not work on
systems with small per-thread stacks.  (And even on systems where it
does work, those users will suddenly see new performance problems
due to the O(n) descriptor-copying loop on each apr_poll() call.)

The workaround that I put in yesterday will suffice for most
installations, but we'll need to revert to the previous poll
code in order to have a GA-ready server once again.

--Brian