httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_proxy drops the content-length header
Date Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:56:29 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> I believe it would be possible for the proxy to delete the
> content-length header and replace it with another mechanism
> of its choosing to signal the entity-length.

 From what I can see proxy removes the content-length, and then relies
on one of the filters to either put the content length back, or use
chunked encoding.

Trouble is the initial request was an HTTP/1.0 request, not HTTP/1.1,
which does not understand chunking. It looks like the filter in the
HTTP/1.0 case doesn't readd the content-length header.

To be honest, I don't think the content-length header should be removed
in the first place in proxy. If a filter needs to modify the content
length for any reason, it should update the value of the content-length
header itself.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm