httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: daedalus is running httpd-2.0.pre40
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:18:14 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:

>   You are working around a problem in your script in the Apache
> upgrade step.

no sir.  It would have been a piece of cake to change my perl script to insure
that conf/ has enough stuff so the server can start.  But I couldn't take the
easy way out with a clear conscience because other people are likely to get
burned in a similar manner.

>  Now, on EVERY production machine I have, I will always have
> *-std.conf files.

Another way to word this is that whenever you do a make install your standard
configuration files are updated to match the current code.

>  Why is that a good thing?????

Most of the time I use daedalus's config files or something that closely
resembles them.  Those are complex, but don't include every possible combination
of config directives (thank goodness).  Every once in a while I need to drop
back to a simpler config to do benchmarking, or something with new config
features to work on a problem for instance.  It's nice to be able to grab one of
the -std.conf files, make minimal/no changes, and have a working server with
guaranteed current config directives in short order.

If you read this whole thread, you'll see that I'm not the only one who likes
having current -std.conf files available.  They worked this way for ages.  I
don't recall seeing any complaints about this behavior until yesterday.

Greg