httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Tait <>
Subject Re: daedalus is running httpd-2.0.pre40
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:57:18 GMT
FWIW... I, as a user, agree wholeheartedly with this approach.  If I've
taken the time out to write web pages then I don't want them clobbered when
I upgrade Apache.  In the same way, if I've taken the time out to configure
Apache the way I want it, I don't want that configuration clobbered when I
upgrade.  Nor do I want spurious -std files copying in there to confuse

I like to think of it this way:  while I'm controlling a machine, I'll keep
thorough documentation of its configuration.  When I leave and Joe Bloggs
takes over and upgrades Apache, my documentation will have no record of
httpd.conf-std and such-like.  Why risk confusing people by adding more
clutter to an already-working directory?

Just my tuppence worth.

Ryan Bloom wrote:
> The conf/ directory is mine as a user.  An initial installation copies
> some default files around, because that is nice for us to do.
> Subsequent installations should leave the directory alone, because that
> directory is mine.  The same way we leave the cgi-bin, htdocs, and error
> directories alone.  The only thing an upgrade should do, is to touch
> binaries and manuals.  Everything else is owned by the user.

| James Tait                         | ICQ# 17834893                      |
| MUD programmer and Linux advocate  | |

around the clock, around the globe, visit

View raw message