httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: daedalus is running httpd-2.0.pre40
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:00:33 GMT
rbb@apache.org wrote:

> > If we had a customized mime.types, I wouldn't want it to get clobbered.  I think
> > the old code would have done that.
>
> The old code was blowing away everything in the directory on my
> machine.

no, I don't think it was blowing away existing conf/httpd.conf, conf/ssl.conf,
etc., or any conf/* files with your own names.  My ThinkPad has files in its
conf/ install directory dating back to 2001.  But the old code was blowing away
mime.types and magic, which wasn't good.

>  BTW, the current logic is precisely what 1.3 does, which is why
> I added it.  If you have an existing conf/ directory, the assumption is
> that you have been using it to run Apache.

bad assumption.  It's safer to deal with the files on an individual basis.

> The situation that you are trying to protect against is most likely not
> standard.  My question, is why isn't your automation just copying the
> whole conf/ directory?

Keep in mind that I'm like the proverbial canary in the coal mine.  If the
canary suddenly keels over when entering the mine, there's not much point in
lecturing it to get more exercise, eat healthier, etc.

I believe that the way make install in HEAD works with conf/ is satisfactory.

Greg