httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Envariables for logging phase only
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:21:58 GMT
Someone brought up an interesting question on #apache: 'How can I log
everything *except* 404s?'

Obviously this can be done with piped logging, but I consider that a
bit of a handwave.  It appears that here really isn't any simple way
to accomplish what seems to actually be a reasonable thing.  It can be
worked around with ErrorDocument and mod_rewrite, I think, but that too
is a bag on the side.

So, unless someone has a solution I'm missing, I'd like to propose adding
a sort of pseudo-envariable during the logging phase.  Something like
'status_is_NNN', where NNN is appropriately substituted.  Then something
like

CustomLog logs/access_log combined env=!status_is_404

It doesn't immediately help the case of someone who wants to log (or not
log) some combination of status values, though, which is one reason I'm
just throwing this out as a straw man idea..
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"