httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jerry Baker <jerryba...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: Patch mod_deflate to gzip text/*?
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:24:06 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz says:

>On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 04:12:40PM -0600, Jerry Baker wrote:
>> But I only want it to gzip js and css when the browser is IE5+ or Mozilla.
>
>Why?  Most browsers support gzip if they are sending it in the
>Accept-Encoding header.  BTW, you'd just SetOutputFilter DEFLATE in
>your configuration if you want to encode everything.
>
>You'd only want to work around the broken browsers.  In my tests,
>Mozilla can accept any sort of deflated input.  I don't use IE and
>I have heard that it is broken in many respects of gzip encoding.
>
>If you restrict deflating only to IE5+ or Mozilla, you're going
>to lock out performance gains when people use other browsers
>(or automated tools or client libraries).  -- justin

That's why I don't want to do that.

If I exclude IE from it, I just removed 95% of my possible savings
because that's what 90% of browsers are using. So, I need to not
compress images for IE, but compress all text. Then I need to compress
only HTML for NN4, and everything for all other browsers that accept
gzip encoding. There is no way to set this up currently.