httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: daedalus is running httpd-2.0.pre40
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:24:45 GMT
Dale Ghent wrote:

> Apache configuration files can be pretty much considered user-land stuff
> that shouldnt be touched by 'make install'

definately.

> There are so many ways for an admin to organize his/her apache
> configuration files, from a flat httpd.conf to having it broken out into
> many Included files of arbritrary name. Not to mention custom entries in
> mime.types and so-forth.

of course.

> What may be good for you isnt necessarily good for everyone else. Keep
> a 'make install' over an existing installation as transparent as possible.

I am suggesting we do something like this:

for each file in the build conf/ directory
   if ((the file does not exist in the target directory || the filename is
*-std.*)
          && the filename isn't *.in)
       copy the file from the build conf/ directory to the target conf/
directory

I believe that would be transparent.  It should work for other non-code install
directories too, except the filename checks might be irrelevant.

> There's no need to fix something that's not broke.

It's broke IMO.  Please look at my initial post.  make install violated the
principle of least astonishment and we took an unneccessary outage.  I will
concede that the old code was broken too, if it clobbered an existing mime.types
file.

Greg