httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@apache.org>
Subject Re: daedalus is running httpd-2.0.pre40
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:15:56 GMT
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> At 08:33 PM 7/17/2002, Greg Ames wrote:
> >...since Wednesday, 17-Jul-2002 18:49:31 PDT .  Things look fine now, but we
> >took about a 3 1/2 minute site outage because of:
> >
> >[Wed Jul 17 18:47:20 2002] [error] (2)No such file or directory: could not
> >open mime types config file /usr/local/apache/conf/mime.types.
> >Configuration Failed
> >
> >That's the feechur where we no longer copy existing conf/ directories at make
> >install time.  Remind me again:  what was wrong with simply not overlaying
> >existing files?
>
> Because folks may have *valuable* and *important* config changes that
> shouldn't be wiped out?

I guess I wasn't clear.  I have automation that creates a new conf/, then copies
in httpd.conf* from the production conf/ with appropriate edits.  So my conf/
directory exists, but doesn't contain mime.types (or several other files which
aren't relevant on daedalus).

make install runs after that.  It used to copy in everything except the
httpd.conf file, which worked perfectly for me.  Now it doesn't copy *any* of
the conf/* files because the directory exists.  It would be better if we did
this on a more granular level, i.e. check to see if the individual file exists
in the target dir, then copy/don't copy as appropriate.

If we had a customized mime.types, I wouldn't want it to get clobbered.  I think
the old code would have done that.

Greg