httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Auth checker - long term goal..
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:19:31 GMT
Aaron Bannert wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 10:44:46AM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
>

>>I still believe that everything that is currently in ROADMAP can and
>>should be implemented in 2.0.

I agree.

>And my point is we won't know until there is a patch that solves
>one of the roadmap problems. Only then will we be able to decide.

The problem I have with the roadmap is that it's mostly a list
of implementation changes.  What it should be is a list of product
features: things that are meaningful to a customer of Apache (whether
that customer is an end-user or a third-party developer), not just
meaningful to those of us who work on the httpd code.

 From my perspective, the event that should cause us to branch for
a 2.1 or 3.0 release isn't "this code change is too drastic for 2.0"
but rather: "this new feature that's useful to customers is impossible
to build or maintain on top of the 2.0 framework."  And hopefully it
will be a while before we get to that point: 2.0's design allows us
to make a *lot* of changes without requiring a rearchitecture of the
core server.

I'd really like to see a roadmap that says something like:

  Remaining 2.0 maintenance releases:
    - Incremental performance improvements
    - Bug fixes
    - New modules and MPMs as needed

  2.1:
    - "Sandbox" processes in which to run untrusted plug-in code safely
    - Further refactoring of the core daemon to make it easier
      to support non-HTTP protocols

  3.0:
    - New architecture for massive scalability

--Brian