httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache 2 cycle vs instruction profiling
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 21:13:23 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

>Subroutine Name          Source File                  Ratio Enter  %
>Cycles
>===============          ===========                  ===== ===== ====
>======
>.core_input_filter       core.c                        3.15 11     1.5 3628
>.ap_rgetline_core        protocol.c                    3.05 6      1.3 3241

Are these numbers from the latest version of ap_rgetline_core(), with
the optimization to re-use the same temp brigade for the lookahead read?
If so, I'll proceed with the next wave of fixes on that function (using
a persistent brigade) to try to optimize it out of the top 5.

>.get_filter_handle       util_filter.c                 4.58 2      1.1 2705
>.ap_find_token           util.c                        4.16 6      0.9 2306

Wow, I've never seen ap_find_token() rank so high in a profile before.
Does your profiling tool show any information on where it's getting called?

>.fix_hostname            vhost.c                       3.65 1      0.7 1626

fix_hostname() is spending all its time in string processing and
string-to-int
conversions.  There's probably an optimization opportunity there.

>.ap_update_child_status_from_indexes scoreboard.c     17.94 2      0.6 1435

Is the high ratio here just a result of the cost of writing to the
scoreboard
in shared memory?

>.add_any_filter          util_filter.c                 5.46 1      0.6 1403

We may be able to replace some more ap_add_*_filter() calls with
ap_add_*_filter_handle() to reduce the cost of the add_any_filter()
trie lookup.

--Brian