httpd-dev mailing list archives

From gs-apache-...@gluelogic.com
Subject Re: daedalus is running httpd-2.0.pre40
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:41:11 GMT
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 11:03:03AM -0400, Greg Ames wrote:
> "johannes m. richter" wrote:
> >
> > > If you read this whole thread, you'll see that I'm not the only one
> > > who likes having current -std.conf files available.  They worked this
> > > way for ages.  I don't recall seeing any complaints about this
> > > behavior until yesterday.
..
> > People seem to want their conf-directories to be really "clean" - which
> > is can understand.  But i also understand it might be useful to have a
> > current default configuration file around. IMHO the documentation dir
> > SERVERROOT/manual/conf/ perhaps?) would be a good place for this.
>
> SERVERROOT/manual/conf-default/ ?  That might make it clearer that this
> is just for the default configs.  Opinions?

As another lurker on the list, I'd like to weigh in on having the
template conf files in conf/sample and named after the release which
created it, i.e. conf/sample/httpd.conf-2.0.40  (You could also use
conf/dist/* or conf/template/* or ...)

This avoids cluttering conf and keeps the template configs close at
hand for reference.  Apache conf files are large and they tend to
change subtly between releases.  It is really nice to be able to
compare differences.  Personally, I use the default conf files and
comment out what I don't want and comment in my changes explaining
the deviation from the distributed defaults.

-Glenn