httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <>
Subject Adding RemoveOutputFilterByType?
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:45:44 GMT
On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 04:24:06PM -0600, Jerry Baker wrote:
> If I exclude IE from it, I just removed 95% of my possible savings
> because that's what 90% of browsers are using. So, I need to not
> compress images for IE, but compress all text. Then I need to compress
> only HTML for NN4, and everything for all other browsers that accept
> gzip encoding. There is no way to set this up currently.

BTW, a js file maps to application/x-javascript, so restricting to
text/* isn't going to help you much.

Perhaps what we need is to attack this from the opposite angle:
that is, remove DEFLATE when it *is* a certain type.  And, be
able to trigger that with a BrowserMatch directive.  In short
that means we need to add two things: RemoveOutputFilterByType and
have BrowserMatch be able to do that conditionally for certain
browsers.  The first part is fairly easy to add.

The second one goes a bit beyond what BrowserMatch or our current
config framework can do.  But, I think it would be *really* neat
if we could have:

BrowserMatch "MSIE" Does-Not-Support-Image-Deflating
BrowserMatch "NN4" Does-Not-Support-Image-Deflating

<IfEnv Does-Not-Support-Image-Deflating>
  RemoveOutputFilterByType DEFLATE image/*

I don't know how to do this, but I think it'd be neat.

I do know that we haven't put much thought into controlling filters.
This is something that really hasn't been addressed yet.  -- justin

View raw message