httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patch mod_deflate to gzip text/*?
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:07:29 GMT
On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 03:58:45PM -0600, Jerry Baker wrote:
> I want it to not compress anything except for text/*. The problem is
> that IE cannot understand compressed images when the images are not part
> of an HTML document. So, I want the benefit of compressing js and css
> files, but do not want to compress images or other binary content.

I think the proper solution is to allow wildcard support in
AddOutputFiltersByType, so that you can do:

AddOutputFiltersByType DEFLATE text/*

Another solution is to do (can do with the current code):

AddOutputFiltersByType DEFLATE text/html
AddOutputFilters DEFLATE js css

The addition of wildcard support could get very expensive at
first thought.  Perhaps we could find a way to make that
efficient.  That's unlikely if we keep using a hashtable for
this.  -- justin