httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Waldo Van Cleef <arche...@wavefire.com>
Subject CGI 1.1 Compliance wrt CGI-sent status codes.
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 20:41:32 GMT
Problem:
  Apache 1.3.x breaks the CGI 1.1 specification with its handling of
script-generated status codes.  It appears to work in the case of status 302,
but this appearance is only maintained via an uncoditional redirect in the
cast that the "location" header is set and an OK status exists.
Referring to the spec:
  http://CGI-Spec.Golux.Com/draft-coar-cgi-v11-03-clean.html#7.2.1.3
we have:
 'The "Status" header field is used to indicate to the server what status code
the server MUST use in the response message.'
I have not confirmed that this problem exists in Apache httpd 2.x

Solution:
  The following patch to mod_cgi.c has been used in a production environment
for some time now.  Any comments/critique are welcome.

Disclaimer:
  If I happen to be way off base on this, please feel free to let me know.

 -Wade Klaver