httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanc...@mit.edu>
Subject Re: Removing modules
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:08:49 GMT
On Sunday, July 28, 2002, at 07:00  PM, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> I like the idea of decoupling the modules from the core, leaving
> only the ability to serve static files in the base distribution.

   I don't.  It's a pain in the ass for the users if they have to download and build every
single feature they want to use.

   Let's see, I have this server that does nothing.  Better download mod_http.  I need includes.
 Grr... download mod_include.  Grr, I need auth...  Right now, you can uncomment a line in
the config, and even better use/edit the <IfModule> switched config defaults for that
module or uncomment an example.  It's really easy to get started with mod_userdir today.
Move it out, and it's not.

   Perl has CPAN, but Perl also ships with a lot of base modules, so that it's useful to most
people without CPAN.

   I'm in favor of putting new modules in their own projects, then when they are stable and
generally complete, if they are still just a couple of files small, and have become reasonably
popular/useful, I have no problem including them in the HTTPd project.

   It's nice to have a fair bit of useful (and used) functionality available out of the box.

> That would allow us to make releases without as many constraints,
> freeing up the modules to release on their own schedule (which
> eventually leads to quicker releases).

   This is great for large modules like PHP.  It's of negative value for modules that hardly
ever change because they are small and don't really need much more work over time.

	-wsv