httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Brad Nicholes" <BNICHO...@novell.com>
Subject Problem with apr_setsocketopt() and apr_getsockopt()....
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 20:24:03 GMT
  With the change that was made to these functions where the state of
the socket option is determined by our own mask rather than querying the
socket, makes an assuption about the initial state of the socket.  Since
the mask is initialized to 0 when the socket is created, the assumption
is made that the initial state is off.  Is this always true for every
socket option?  This kind of assuption seems a little dangerous.  With
this change, NetWare is currently failing to respond to about half of
the requests made to the web server.  From what I can tell so far, the
failure is because a socket is determined to already be in a blocking
state when the call is make to set it to blocking.  When in fact, the
socket is really in a nonblocking state and the mask is not insync with
the real state only because it was never initialized.  Don't we need to
first query the socket to determine its initial state and then base the
mask off of the results of the query?  Or bite the bullet and make the
requested call rather than trying to short circuit the process?

Brad

Brad Nicholes
Senior Software Engineer
Novell, Inc., a leading provider of Net business solutions
http://www.novell.com