httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <jwool...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: core_output_filter buffering for keepalives? Re: Apache 2.0 Numbers
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 05:07:48 GMT
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Brian Pane wrote:

> size is only 1KB, so core_output_filter reads in and buffers the
> contents of 8 requests before it finally reaches the 8KB threshold
> and starts calling writev.  1.3, in contrast, writes out each
> request's response immediately, with no buffering.

I think it likely that ab's design itself would contribute to Apache2
reading as slower in this case, given the (accurate) analysis you've
provided.  Even though ab's concurrency model is a *little* better now,
it is still the case as far as I know that ab will sit around and wait for
the response to come back before sending the next request out on that
connection.  At least this used to be the case, I'd have to look again at
the code to see if it still is.  Aaron could probably enlighten us here.

Anyway, what I'm saying is: don't make design decisions of this type based
only on the results of an ab run.

--Cliff