httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I asked this on the freebsd-general list...
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:47:04 GMT
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Rick Kukiela wrote:

> In the last episode (Jun 17), Rick Kukiela said:
> > I asked on the apache-dev list about when perchild processing will work on
> > freebsd and this was the response i got:
> >
> > "It will never work with FreeBSD 4.6. Perchild requires a good threading
> > library, and FreeBSD doesn't have one."
> >
> > What is being done about this?
>
> THEIR REPLY:
> Unless they provide more details (i.e. proof that it's bad), there's
> not much that can be done.  The userland threads system is good enough
> to run MySQL, mozilla, openoffice, and who knows how many other pieces
> of software.

Well, there are some nasty bugs in FreeBSD's threads.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_sendfile.c

This fix is rather crucial to Apache2 and it is not in any released
version of FreeBSD yet.  So yes, until FreeBSD fixes their threads, and
actually release the fix, Apache2 in threaded mode is not going to work on
that OS.

-Rasmus