httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Fabien COELHO <coe...@cri.ensmp.fr>
Subject help with apache configuration "logic"...
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 08:42:51 GMT

Hello Apache-people,

I'm in the process of porting to apache 2 a module I developped for
apache 1.3. The 'mod_macro' module add macro definition capabilities
to apache configuration files. Macros are expanded on the fly and parsed.

With apache 1.3, I needed an initialization phase each time a new
configuration cycle is started, as there are two analyses of the
configuration file each time apache is launched. The hack I found was to
notice that the temporary pool has changed to re-initialized my internal
data structures which holds the description of macros... quite poor.

Now with apache 2, I digged out in the source code a 'pre_config' and
'post_config' hook that look just fine, so I was planing to use that
instead of the previous hack. However :

1/ the apache configuration is still read twice.
   well, why not if it pleases you.

2/ the pre_config hook is run *AFTER* the configuration file
   is read. Indeed, you can see that in main.c where
   ap_run_pre_config() is called after ap_read_config()

Thus here are my questions:

1/ as 'PRE' is a latin prefix which means before, would it be possible for
   the sanity of the developpers to either:
   a/ call it *before* the configuration is read.
   b/ or rename it 'post_config';-)
      then the 'post_config' can be renamed 'post_post_config';-)

2/ if the pre_config is to be run anyway after the configuration file is
   read, could you suggest another hook I could use ? I can't see any...
   and the developper documentation is rather scarse and not up to date.

3/ or explain what I missed in the source code to understand the logic
   behind all that.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
Fabien.