httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David McCreedy" <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/ap ap_strtol.c Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 05:35:46 GMT

I agree with this approach.
I've confirmed that TPF's strtol function returns an errno of ERANGE.
I don't know if OS390's and BS2000's compilers do as well.

Jim has updated ap_strtol.c with an explicit warning:  "... this will break
on EBCDIC machines if base is >19."
And since Apache itself only does base 10 and base 16 I'm not going to do a
last minute patch for TPF/EBCDIC.
It's not worth the risk of complicating or breaking the T+R of 1.3.25.

                      Jim Jagielski
                      <>        To: (Justin
                      06/17/2002 09:14         Subject:  Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/ap
ap_strtol.c Makefile.tmpl
                      Please respond to

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 11:06:30PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > With 2.0, we are lucky because we require not only an ANSI compiler
> > but also the full ANSI function suite. That's never been the case
> > on 1.3. So, at least with 1.3, we can't assume that strtol() works
> > as we require, since we don't require strict ANSI functionality.
> > We could have done a NEED_STRTOL, but that would require more
> > knowledge than we have right now, I'm afraid.
> I guess my point was that we could use the system strtol() for
> EBCDIC machines on 1.3 to handle this special case.  Since those
> machines are typically confined to one particular compiler and
> library, we can easily verify that those strtol() implementations
> are correct.
> #define ap_strtol strtol
> #else
> ...<whatever we have now based on the BSD code>...
> #endif
> Just a thought.  -- justin

   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [|]