httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Worker + MaxClient ...
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:25:23 GMT
"Aaron Bannert" <aaron@clove.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 06:35:15PM +0100, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>> From time to time, 3 times over 10k requests today for manual/index.html,
>> 2.0.38-dev as of this morning segfaults when it is compiled at 64bits under
>> Solaris-8, with lightweight processes used instead of threads, and
>> concurrency greater than 1000...

>> The relevant part of the configuration are:
>>
>>     StartServers        4
>>     ThreadLimit         256
>>     ThreadsPerChild     256
>>     MaxRequestsPerChild 0
>
> Are you maybe just running out of process slots? The /usr/lib/lwp/ thread
> library guarantees that you'll use 4*256 process slots right off the bat,
> where the default /usr/lib library will ramp up over time.

Don't think so... That machine was a mail server for our newsletters (1/2
mil deliveries a day), running qmail, and the concurrency-remote was 1024,
and I never had a problem...

Also, what's wicked is that it only happens when the thing is compiled at 64
bits... At 32 it crawls, but it's still up, and the configuration is the
same. If it was a problem of slots, it would fail in the same way both at 32
or 64...

Plus, in theory, if Apache is unable is not able to create a child (process
or thread), doesn't it report it? It shouldn't segfault for that, right?

Just out of curiosity (I want to doublecheck) how do I increase it on
Solaris 8?

    Pier