httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Per Einar Ellefsen <>
Subject Re: How much effort to get Apache working with Mingw?
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:20:53 GMT

Hi again Bill,

At 22:51 19.06.2002, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>This has been on my to-do for 3 years ;)  Thanks for taking up the challenge.
>If we could set up an evening next week or over the weekend, perhaps we have
>an informal Win32/mingw hackathon on irc:// #apr channel
>to trade ideas with anyone interested in attacking this, and turn around
>1.3 and 2.0 build methods.
>The problem with mingw has been the lack of libtool/autoconf/automake/m4
>support, but I'm hoping to hear that the situation has improved over time :)

So when should we do this? From thursday evening (CET time :) tothe 4th of
July I'm free most of the time. Then it's summer vacation :)

Should we schedule something? Just tell me your timezone too, because we
don't want any disagreements about the time!

Anyway, I've been looking into the subject a little when I have had the
time: for me it seems like the most reasonable approach would be to forget
the libtool things, as it's still imperfect :( but rather treat Mingw GCC
as just another windows compiler, and port the win32 makefiles to that.
This is the path taken in Perl which has very good Mingw support IMO. I've
just been looking at why Perl uses dmake as opposed to nmake for the Mingw
build before trying to modify the makefiles to any extent. (on another
note, my nmake downloaded from an MS site complains when looking at the
Apache makefiles.. the '::'s seem to be bugging it.. weird).

Anyway, as Mingw exposes the Win32 API and links to MSVCRT.DLL I think the
win32 code should be able to run cleanly. Or atleast hope so :)

Per Einar Ellefsen

View raw message