httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: TomcatMonitor
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 16:55:15 GMT
At 01:58 AM 6/16/2002, Mladen Turk wrote:

> > Finally, we need a service-specific way (probably as a subkey
> > of the service within HKLM/CurrentControlSet/Services) to
> > define what "Extra" user-defined ControlService codes are
> > supported.  Win32 today supports 128 as Restart. Could add
> > new ones later on to distinguish that Graceful from a Hard
> > restart. Tomcat doesn't support any, but could in the future.
> >

>I think that the extension dll would be better solution.
>Using registry would be simpler, but more restrictive.

No... it's really not restrictive at all, it's a well defined API.  I
believe the
status codes are extensible as well, although I have to look at the API
to be certain.  But let's not reinvent wheels ;-)

We've gotta remember that folks don't compile for Apache, and we really
want to place as much configuration/control in the hands of the users as
we possibly can.  So I'd put user configuration over custom APIs any day.

I really hate the idea of building a new extension API when one exists, so...

we should be able to host the service control dialog extension.  'Should'
is the operative word, I started hacking but coding to undocumented
interfaces gets rough.  But my point is this; if someone codes an extended
dialog for the Apache service, for example, it would be available from both
ApacheMonitor and the Services MMC view under properties.

What I don't want to do is start investing a bunch of time at 9x pseudo
services when XP home [finally] really melds together the 'home' OS with
what we need in terms of real NT service control.  That bit might be harder
to define to everyone's satisfaction, but I bet it can be done.

Bill