httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: TomcatMonitor
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 03:03:13 GMT
At 11:45 AM 6/15/2002, you wrote:
>On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Mladen Turk wrote:
>
> > As a maker of ApacheMonitor I _know_ that the support for the Tomcat's
> > start/stop/monitor would be trivial.
> > The question is can we (Apache2 and Tomcat) agree to coexist, or make
> > two different try buttons.
>
>I wouldn't have a problem with that.  No sense reinventing the wheel for
>one or the other of us...  +1.

and a ++1 here.

Requirements ...

1. keep running a single binary.  Don't care if it displays one or twenty
taskbar
    icons, but the overhead of the binary itself (polling the list of
services) is just
    too intense to waste with multiple invocations running at the same time.

Suggestions and Observations

1. the name, "Apache Monitor" is generic enough for any ASF project.

2. we name the service (as does Tomcat) in an intelligent way, so we simply
    continue to display the 'display' name of the service in any prompts.
    No confusion.

3. we aught to have some 'registry' of services that the monitor will handle.
    No reason the user couldn't extend the monitor to any service.  Why don't
    we continue to key on the ImagePath name, perhaps using regexes, so we
    can even pattern match for things like hostsvc.exe -k NetworkService?

So we could create a registry of apps, under

   HLKM\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\ApacheMonitor\

And even define groups that would consitute one 'Icon'.  That way a given
server's tomcat and apache instances could both be tracked under a single
icon, while another server's tomcat and apache instances could be tracked
under another icon?

Finally, we need a service-specific way (probably as a subkey of the service
within HKLM/CurrentControlSet/Services) to define what "Extra" user-defined
ControlService codes are supported.  Win32 today supports 128 as Restart.
Could add new ones later on to distinguish that Graceful from a Hard restart.
Tomcat doesn't support any, but could in the future.

Foods for thought, I hope to have time to finish the async hacks soon so the
taskbar is more responsive to the user (and includes the starting and stopping
states as well.)

Bill