httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Anybody Tell me how to join this community
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:51:02 GMT
At 01:24 PM 6/11/2002, Aaron Luo wrote:

>I am a software developer. But currently unemployeed right. I would like
>to do some volunteer work. Anyone can give me a hint how to get some work
>from this site? What is criteria to get some work? Thanks.

Good question [many lurkers to this list probably ask the same thing.]

Read up on the process at http://httpd.apache.org/dev/ ... then look for
XXX or TODO
comments in the source and see if it's a puzzle you might have the solution to.

Post a patch [unidiff, that is, diff -u3 so that it's most
legible.]  Invite comments.
Follow the style guidelines.  And most important (and most frequently
misunderstood)
post patches that are tight, complete and address one single issue.

It's very easy to start fixing three or four other issues while you are
trying to solve
a specific problem. Note the other issues, but keep your patch focused so
any of
the committers can review and commit your patch.

When a patch is very specialized, or requires extensive testing in multiple
platforms or environments, you reduce the number of folks who feel competent
in reviewing the patch, and therefore the time to get the patch committed will
grow; don't give up.  Try posting a reminder if nobody comments on your patch
after about a week (or if it's discussed but no resolution is reached.)

And forgive us about being a bit picky about code style.  Read and follow the
style guide, and try to follow the semantic pattern of the other
code.  This will
save a reviewer from 'tweaking' the patch, assuring it can be committed
quicker.

Finally, if docs or translations are also your thing, check out the apache docs
project, which is always looking for folks willing to improve and translate the
documentation!

Bill