httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject 2.0 performance Re: Breaking something? Now is the time?
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:41:03 GMT
[moving to dev@httpd due to shifting topic]

Bill Stoddard wrote:

>Yes, please, we need some performance measurements.  I've been doing some
>profiling of Apache 2.0 on AIX and even with mod_mem_cache, we still serve
>static files with keep-alive at about half the rate of iPlanet. The sad
>thing is I don't see any single smoking guns. Just lots of little stuff
>everywhere.

Indeed, all the big problems have been fixed, and what remains is a long
list of small things to optimize.  My list includes:

  * the buffering of keepalive responses < 8KB (which turns sendfile
    operations into mmap+memcpy)
  * lots of string operations in directory_walk/location_walk/file_walk
  * the code that creates and destroys a temporary brigade for each line
    in order to read the request header
  * our memory usage is a bit higher than it probably should be
  * regex comparisons in file_walk and mod_setenvif
  * mod_mime's find_ct() does too much string manipulation
  * apr_table_get (even with all the optimizations that we've already done)

Do you have additional things that you've found in your profiling?

Thanks,
--Brian