httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <i...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PHP as a filter (was: Apache 2.0 Numbers)
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 04:15:41 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 08:52:09PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:

>>The main difference that I can see is that php is using a filter.
>>i'd say that php's performance would increase to 1.3 numbers when
>>they write there sapi interface as handler NOT a filter.
>>until then php's performance will always be worse in 2.0, as they
>>are using the wrong set of hooks (filters) to communicate with 2.0.
>

> No frickin' way. PHP is a filter, not a handler. Something else generates
> the content, then PHP parses it and executes it.

It should also be a handler because in the normal case it just reads a
flat file off the disk.
so that in the >general< case you won't get the slowdown penalty for the
people who are going to be use it ontop of something else.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a filter mode.. just that you
should have a handler mode as well. (and so should mod-include IMHO)

--Ian