httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <bp...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: core_output_filter buffering for keepalives? Re: Apache 2.0 Numbers
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 05:27:52 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

>So changing the AP_MIN_BYTES_TO_WRITE just moves the relative postion of the write() and
>the check pipeline read.

It has one other side-effect, though, and that's what's bothering me:
In the case where core_output_filter() decides to buffer a response because
it's smaller than 8KB, the end result is to turn:
    sendfile
into:
    mmap
    memcpy
    munmap
    ... buffer some more requests' output until we have 8KB ...
    writev

>Some potential low hanging fruit here... would it make sense to make the keepalive read
>(the one right before the select) an APR_INCOMPLETE_READ?

That makes sense.  The select ought to be cheaper than the read
that returns EAGAIN.

--Brian