httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/error/include bottom.html
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:04:07 GMT
[Sorry, I missed this earlier.]

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 10:25:59PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
>>In any case, I have a patch ready to commit that removes Ryan's changes,
>>but comments-out the internationalized error docs in the default config.
>>  I believe that is better than the existing setup for a variety of
>>reasons, and it leaves the server string in the default setup (via the
>>builtin error messages).  Would that resolve your veto?
>

> Why wouldn't we want to internationalize the error docs by default?

Because in order to internationalize the error docs we need to turn on a
bunch of complex features that aren't otherwise used in the default install.

> The ServerTokens directive controls what is returned.  So, if the
> admin doesn't want to display what version they are running, they
> only need to set that directive and that changes it for everything
> (including the Server HTTP header).  -- justin

No, that's not true at all.  ServerTokens controls ONLY the HTTP header.
  It does not control internal messages (ServerSignature does that), nor
does it control anything not generated directly from the apache source
code (like the internationalized error docs).

Joshua.