httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Pane <brian.p...@cnet.com>
Subject Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: PHP profiling results under 2.0.37 Re: Performance of Apache 2.0 Filter
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 23:39:43 GMT
Zeev Suraski wrote:

> PHP has its own buffering mechanism which can take care of this.  Try
> output_buffering = 4096 in your php.ini.

That works, but IMHO it won't help enough unless it becomes the
default.  The problem, from my perspective, is that people using the
default, non-buffered setting who upgrade from Apache 1.3 to 2.0 are
going to get an unpleasant surprise: their scripts that used to
perform well are now a lot slower, and the load on their servers
is higher.

I like Cliff's suggestion of switching to apr_brigade_write() for
the unbuffered case, to match the behavior of 1.3.

--Brian