httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/experimental cache_storage.c cache_util.c mod_mem_cache.c mod_cache.c mod_cache.h
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:30:53 GMT
stoddard@apache.org wrote:

>   Add content negotiation and expiration policy to mod_cache and mod_mem_cache.
>   mod_disk_cache still needs work.

In the original cache design, the cache was able to cache more than one
variant of a specific URL. If an english page came along, it would cache
the english page. If a french page came along, it would cache the french
page alongside the english page. If a browser was returned cache data,
content negotiation would be used to select the best cached variant.

As a result of the above I am confused why "content negotiation has been
added to mod_cache" - isn't content negotiation built in already?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street