httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: ap_mmn.h breakage
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:11:30 GMT
On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 08:18:57AM -0700, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> This makes no sense to me:
>
> /** @deprecated present for backwards compatibility */
> #define MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER_MAJOR
> #define MODULE_MAGIC_AT_LEAST old_broken_macro_we_hope_you_are_not_using
>
> That MODULE_MAGIC_AT_LEAST #define is not doing anything for backwards
> compatibility.  It simply breaks existing modules that use it.  And yes,
> PHP uses it so the released version of PHP will not build with Apache
> 2.0.39.

The macro's logic was totally broken, making it useless. If you *are* using
the macro, then you've got problems.

AP_MODULE_MAGIC_AT_LEAST() is the proper macro.

And because people got the code kind of working with the old macro, when
they use the proper macro, their code might need to be tweaked. If we simply
nuked the macro, then somebody might insert AP_ at the start, thinking that
is the "right" thing to do, then have a bunch of code go wonky. With the
funny symbol in there, they will take a closer look and (hopefully) fix
things. Maybe more doc to that effect would be good. ?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/