httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I asked this on the freebsd-general list...
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:53:16 GMT
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 10:44:29AM -0500, Rick Kukiela wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 17), Rick Kukiela said:
> > I asked on the apache-dev list about when perchild processing will work on
> > freebsd and this was the response i got:
> >
> > "It will never work with FreeBSD 4.6. Perchild requires a good threading
> > library, and FreeBSD doesn't have one."
> >
> > What is being done about this?
>
> THEIR REPLY:
> Unless they provide more details (i.e. proof that it's bad), there's
> not much that can be done.  The userland threads system is good enough
> to run MySQL, mozilla, openoffice, and who knows how many other pieces
> of software.
>
> --
> Dan Nelson
> dnelson@allantgroup.com
>

> So what's the deal here? can some one tell them their threads suck so it can
> be fixed?

Please read STATUS.  Our current belief is the problem is isolated
within the pthread condition variables implementation.

We have worked with them in the past to get sendfile() working with
libc_r, but at this point, there is no one who is interested in
working on fixing it.  This is a massive timesink and all of us who
worked on it gave up in frustration.  (I no longer have access to
a FreeBSD-CURRENT box, so I can't be of any help.)  -- justin