httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/ap ap_strtol.c Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:06:30 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Perhaps if strtol is functional on these platforms, we can just
> use the native functions?  The key requirement is that strtol
> returns errno==ERANGE when an overflow occurs.  This should be
> part of any ANSI C compiler and library.
>
> We are purposefully being overly conservative by replacing all
> implementations of strtol.  For httpd-2.0, I feel we can rely on
> correct implementations being provided by the system.  And, for
> the EBCDIC case, we can easily verify the three-or-so machines'
> adherence to the strtol() requirements.  -- justin

With 2.0, we are lucky because we require not only an ANSI compiler
but also the full ANSI function suite. That's never been the case
on 1.3. So, at least with 1.3, we can't assume that strtol() works
as we require, since we don't require strict ANSI functionality.
We could have done a NEED_STRTOL, but that would require more
knowledge than we have right now, I'm afraid.