httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/ap ap_strtol.c Makefile.tmpl
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 02:59:55 GMT
On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 08:38:59PM -0600, David McCreedy wrote:

> The ap_strtol function in ap_strtol.c assumes that A-Z / a-z are contiguous
> ranges (and I'm glad to say it documents this assumption).
> While this is true for ASCII it is NOT true for EBCDIC machines: TPF,
> OS390, and BS2000.
> In EBCDIC, A-I / a-i are contiguous, J-R / j-r are contiguous, and S-Z /
> s-z are contiguous.
> I know this is true for TPF and strongly believe it is also true for OS390
> and BS2000.

Perhaps if strtol is functional on these platforms, we can just
use the native functions?  The key requirement is that strtol
returns errno==ERANGE when an overflow occurs.  This should be
part of any ANSI C compiler and library.

We are purposefully being overly conservative by replacing all
implementations of strtol.  For httpd-2.0, I feel we can rely on
correct implementations being provided by the system.  And, for
the EBCDIC case, we can easily verify the three-or-so machines'
adherence to the strtol() requirements.  -- justin