httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: 2.0.38 is done
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:25:09 GMT
On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 05:56:23AM -0700, Ryan Bloom wrote:
> No.  We have made a release.  We can offer the patch in the patches
> directory, and move on.  If we roll another release, we are basically
> telling users that they can't expect releases to be valid for any period
> of time.  Make this a GA release on Unix and a beta on Windows.  If you
> release every two days, you are removing the incentive to upgrade,
> because there is always a new release on the way.

I totally disagree. I think by making less than one release a month
we are doing a huge disservice to the would-be testers out there who
would love to live on the bleeding edge and give us valuable feedback
on our software.

I think we should be making releases every time we feel we have corrected
bugs or added new features, and we shoudn't be holding back a release
for any reason, be that "just one more thing" or "we just made a release".
If we release more often then we reduce the time our users will have to
wait to get the fixes from bugs in earlier releases.

-aaron