httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject HEAD of a CGI script returning Content-Length?
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 05:48:49 GMT
I noticed that when issuing a HEAD request on a CGI page (trying
unsuccessfully to reproduce the showstopper), the Content-Length is
not returned.

RFC 2616 Section 9.4:

The metainformation contained in the HTTP headers in response to a
HEAD request SHOULD be identical to the information sent in response
to a GET request.

Obviously, there's wiggle-room here, but we could be nice and send
the Content-Length.  This does make the cost of a HEAD be equivalent
to a GET (except for network I/O), but it ensures identical headers
returned to the client.  (Apache 1.3 doesn't send C-L either...)

Thoughts?  -- justin