httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: Extending ap_register_*_filter
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 08:02:32 GMT
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 01:51:21PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> In discussions about how to properly handle 304 (not modified), it
> seems to me that we need a way for a filter to explicitly run some
> code before the handler (and hence any data is generated) is
> executed.
> This is the best and cleanest solution I can come up with.  Does
> anyone see any problems with this?  I will most likely take a pass
> at implementing this tonight and post a patch for review.  -- justin

This feels totally extraneous to me. The 'insert_filter' hook is defined to
run *right before* the handler is called. It is the absolute latest hook. It
would seem there is no difference between using that one and any kind of
init-filter hook.

(in fact, filter initialization is/can also be done as the filter is
 inserted. the caller can initialize the context for use by the filter)

Just what is the benefit of this relative to inserting a filter with a
specific context, and/or by using the insert_filter hook.

Greg Stein,

View raw message