httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: PHP profiling results under 2.0.37 Re: Performance of Apache 2.0 Filter
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 18:09:20 GMT
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 06:49:48PM +0200, Sascha Schumann wrote:
>     I doubt that core_output_filter knows the script author's
>     intentions very well.  Anyway, Aaron and Cliff posted a patch
>     which was committed by Sebastian in mid-April which
>     introduced this behaviour.
>
>     /* Add a Flush bucket to the end of this brigade, so that
>      * the transient buckets above are more likely to make it out
>      * the end of the filter instead of having to be copied into
>      * someone's setaside. */
>     b = apr_bucket_flush_create(ba);
>     APR_BRIGADE_INSERT_TAIL(bb, b);
>
>     The need for this should be reassessed.  Aaron/Cliff, can you
>     please have a look at this?
>
>     Please keep in mind that script authors can always use
>     flush() to insert the flush-bucket.

I guess it really only comes down to a question of how the SAPI intended
the ub_write() function to be implemented. If it is indeed supposed to
implement an unbuffered write, then it seems to me that we must pass
a flush bucket down the output filter chain. If that is not the case,
then by all means let's get rid of that flush bucket.

-aaron