httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: ap_discard_request_body
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 01:37:39 GMT
On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 05:10:58PM -0700, Brian Pane wrote:
> Ryan Bloom wrote:
>
> >For the limits stuff, we need to decide if we want to return 413 if the
> >server doesn't care about the request.  For example, default_handler
> >always just discards the request body, so is it an error if the user
> >sends 100 Meg of data with a request that is just going to ignore it?
> >Probably, and if that is the case, then ap_discard_request_body has to
> >stay in all of the handlers.
>
> I don't think this case has to be considered an error.  We'll still
> be compliant with 2616 if we return a 200 and discard a 100MB post
> body that's been sent to, say, a static page.

Right.

> Assuming there's nothing else that breaks, I really like the idea
> of simplifying the handlers' responsibilities by saying that only
> the default_handler has to worry about discarding the request
> body.

Huh? If you say "the handlers' responsibilities", then (by definition) the
default handler is NOT going to be run.

I think this is entirely up to the HTTP_IN filter. When a request
terminates, that filter *knows* the body has not (yet) been read. It should
just proceed to read it in and toss it.

Cheers,
-g

--