httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Larry Rosenman <...@lerctr.org>
Subject Re: Query: bugs 8712 and 10156
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:02:05 GMT
On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 06:48, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> At some point, Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> excited the electrons:
> > I submitted 8712 a month or more ago, and have gotten NO feedback at
> > all.
>
> FreeBSD is packaging their version with mod_ssl.  We don't include
> mod_ssl with 1.3.  We have no control over the configuration that
> FreeBSD decides to use.  I would refer back to the FreeBSD port
> maintainer and help them come up with a configuration that isn't
> susceptable to this problem.  I'm not really sure how we can fix
> this problem considering that the ASF has no control over mod_ssl
> or FreeBSD's configurations that they use.  The ASF distribution
> does not contain <IfDefine SSL> in its default configuration.
>
> As a hint to the FreeBSD maintainer, the idea here is to always
> load the mod_ssl library and then conditionally execute the SSL
> directives.  I do not believe that loading DSOs conditionally is
> what we intended with the <IfDefine> construct.
This is getting into finger pointing.  They pointed me at ASF as you
supply APXS.

I'm going to stop here, and ignore the issue.

> > I just submitted 10156 and wonder what it would take to get the patch
> > into the next release.
>
> Have you tried your latest and greatest OS with Apache httpd-2.0 yet?
> One of the nice things with 2.0 is that it should easily adapt to
> new platforms.  Things like this aren't hardcoded anymore.  This
> makes our job easier.  If you aren't using 2.0, why not?  After
> all, it is our recommended platform.  1.3 is no longer recommended
> for general use.  The only reason one should stay on 1.3 is because
> of third-party modules, and again, we can't magically force other
> modules to work with 2.0.
Last time I tried, it failed miserably.  I'll try again, and I can
provide a shell account for ASF use.

> As a note, it would be really helpful if you would attach patches
> to the PR rather than inlining them.  My web browser does not
> display your patch in a nice manner since it is inlined and one big
> long unreadable line in Bugzilla.
I'll attach it.

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 01:04:39PM +0200, Martin Kutschker wrote:
> > It seems the core list members don't use bugzilla. My bug(s) and (only) patch have
not been commented as well. You probably have to send the bug description and the patch as
well to get a response. Additionally try resending the patch. This procedure is AFAIR recommended
on the Apache site.