httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: how many EOS buckets should a filter expect? (subrequest, PR 9644)
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 18:17:17 GMT
> From: trawick@rdu88-251-253.nc.rr.com [mailto:trawick@rdu88-251-
>
> Initially I would think that a filter should see at most one EOS.
> mod_ext_filter doesn't have logic to ignore subsequent ones, resulting
> in a superfluous error message from a failed syscall when it tries to
> re-do some cleanup when it hits a second EOS.
>
> In this case, the subrequest is handled by default_handler which
> passes down a FILE bucket and an EOS bucket.  After that has
> completed, ap_finalize_sub_req_protocol() passes down another EOS
> bucket.  Why does ap_finalize_sub_req_protocol() pass down an EOS?
> Isn't the handler responsible for that?  Is this to clean up in case
> the handler encountered an error and failed to pass down an EOS?

Output filters can only support and expect a single EOS bucket.  Input
filters, however, seem to be moving to a multi-EOS model.
Ap_finalize_sub_req_protocol sends down an EOS bucket just like
ap_finalize_request does.  That means that it is only sent if the
handler didn't send it.  The sub-request's EOS is stripped off by the
SUB_REQ_FILTER, and is only used to signify the end of the sub-request.

Ryan