httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Mladen Turk" <mt...@mappingsoft.com>
Subject RE: TomcatMonitor
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 06:58:12 GMT

Agreed!

> So we could create a registry of apps, under
>
>    HLKM\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\ApacheMonitor\
>
> And even define groups that would consitute one 'Icon'.  That
> way a given server's tomcat and apache instances could both
> be tracked under a single icon, while another server's tomcat
> and apache instances could be tracked under another icon?

Excellent. I was thinking the same, even before the xxx service
monitoring.
The reason is to be able to save the connected computers, and perhaps
the
Disconnect button will 'pass' this time (It's already in the code).

Further more to keep the things simple :-), I was thinking of something
like
'User button', for specific group of services, that is invoked through
extension dll.
This extension dll should have two callbacks (ApacheMonitorInitialize,
ApacheMonitorManage and ApacheMonitorService).
So if found in the registry, the AM will try to load those dll's at
startup and query the
ApacheMonitorInitialize for icons, the 'User button' name, "Extra"
user-defined codes, etc...
ApacheMonitorManage will be called when the user clicks on that 'User
button' with the name
Of the selected service, the AM's window handle, and service registry
key.
If the ApacheMonitorService callback is present it will be called upon
the start/stop/restart events instead of the default ones in the AM
itself. This will enable to do whatever extra is needed to be done prior
to those events, and depending on the returned value, the standard
service management will be skipped or called.

> Finally, we need a service-specific way (probably as a subkey
> of the service within HKLM/CurrentControlSet/Services) to
> define what "Extra" user-defined ControlService codes are
> supported.  Win32 today supports 128 as Restart. Could add
> new ones later on to distinguish that Graceful from a Hard
> restart. Tomcat doesn't support any, but could in the future.

I think that the extension dll would be better solution.
Using registry would be simpler, but more restrictive.

MT.