httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: is httpd a valid way to start Apache?
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 18:44:37 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@apache.org> writes:

> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 11:26:42AM -0700, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> > Naw, you get dynamic linking failures as soon as you exec() the
> > process.
>
> Yeah, that's true.  Moving the start/restart logic into httpd still
> seems worthy though.

yeah

> I know that libtool can (supposedly) relink binaries to change the
> link paths.  Could that be something we could do?

Wouldn't we have to do a full link-edit on the target machine to make
that work portably?  One of the nice things about binbuilds is that we
don't give a rip whether the user has a working ld (just an example).
We don't want to care whether or not somebody has working binutils.

> Using a shell script is going to cause more problems than it helps -
> I like being able to do:
>
> gdb /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd core.file

How many problems does it cause?  Having to give gdb a different name
is a problem (minor), but how many others are there?

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...