httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support apachectl.in
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 17:41:51 GMT
Cliff Woolley <jwoolley@virginia.edu> writes:

> On Tue, 28 May 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I think this simplification should be in .37.  But, that's
> > Cliff's call.
>
> I agree, it will.

It would be nice to have some agreement on what the big picture is
by the time 2.0.37 is released.  It may be appropriate for me to put
back the traditional apachectl logic of generating its own help text
if it doesn't understand what is passed in.

I don't have an agenda here other than the desire to have a way to
utilize any httpd option and at the same time not worry about whether
or not the proper environment variables are picked up.

The comments about apachectl being an init script were a necessary
clue-by-four (ouch), but now the big picture is cloudy to me.  If
apachectl is the script that can pass anything through to httpd, then
its user interface as an init script is marred because it can't give
the proper feedback to the user when one of its keywords is
misspelled.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...