httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: is httpd a valid way to start Apache?
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 19:00:36 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz@apache.org> writes:

> > How many problems does it cause?  Having to give gdb a different name
> > is a problem (minor), but how many others are there?
>
> ps and other process utilities won't filter on httpd.  ps -C httpd,
> pkill -HUP httpd would all fail if the binary isn't called httpd.

gotcha (but I'm used to lt-httpd by now anyway :) )

> Perhaps we could so some sort of transformation for binbuilds that
> only adds the httpd.bin to those distributions.  -- justin

That is doable, and covers the most serious problem, but on platforms
where other environment variables are needed it won't solve the
remaining problems, so apachectl will still need to source envvars.

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...