httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: is httpd a valid way to start Apache?
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 15:14:52 GMT
"Ryan Bloom" <> writes:

> My own opinion is that we leave things exactly as they are today.  If
> you are running the binary by hand, you are taking some responsibility
> for knowing what you are doing.  That means having the environment
> variables setup correctly before you start.
> If you don't want that responsibility, use apachectl to run the server.
> Trying to solve this problem any other way just seems like we are asking
> for trouble.

One aspect of these changes is that they resolve existing problems
with apachectl:

. apachectl doesn't give you full access to everything that you need
  (all command-line options)

. apachectl doesn't take into account the possible movement of the pid

I don't think we can truthfully tell Joe User "use apachectl and
everything will work."  You can't even get the server version out of

Jeff Trawick |
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message