httpd-dev mailing list archives

From di...@covalent.net
Subject RE: ab.c versionining was Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support ab.c
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 09:33:57 GMT

On Wed, 1 May 2002, Sander Striker wrote:

> > -1	on anything which
> > 	-> shows in the output of AB of versions of AB which -can-
> > 	   be compared different version numbers
> > 	or
> > 	-> which shows in the output of AB identical version numbers
> > 	   even though the results cannot be compared.
>
> This double veto* implies that it must be 'just right'.

Doing things right is always good.

In case of doubt - either revert to the Apache 1.3 situation -or- move it
out of the three.

Having results which suggest they are comparable when they are not - or
results which are comparable suggestion they are not is just a good idea
for a tool which is used widely to do exactly that.

I agree that people should not use AB that way - and use things like flood
or specweb. And that makes moving the tool out attractive.

Do not forget that apache 1.3 had a

	#define VERSION "1.3d"

living in it since 1996 - and that worked just fine. 2.0 is going to be as
good or better.

Dw